relentless rantings require resonance

A lot of whining and complaining. Some very interesting points. Ridiculous amounts of gushing about my son. Yup, that about sums it up.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The neverending battle

Ahhh weight. It seems like most people have an issue with weight, or at least did at one point in their lives. Mine has been a struggle for at least 17 years. I’ve fluctuated between being overweight, underweight, and now, obese. Granted, obese is a misleading term. Those standardized BMI (Body Mass Index) numbers that you see on the walls of doctors offices and even on some scales, don’t take into account different body types. Take, for example, my sister and I. While she is two inches taller than me, a healthy BMI for me will always be higher than hers. The standardized chart doens’t agree. However, the width of my hips and shoulders means that for me to acheive her healthy BMI, would be to look sick. But I digress…

This goal originally had a number attached to it. I am quite hesitant about attaching a number to my desired weight loss. I know how much I weighed when I was at my peak physical condition, but I can’t be sure that I’ll be able to, or should, reach that weight again. I was that “perfect” size 3.5 years ago. I’m now 3.5 years older and I’ve had a baby. Women’s bodies, their proportions, change when they are in their twenties. I experienced it in my early twenties and have no doubt that my body went through another change as I am now in my, ahem, mid-twenties. Not to mention – I had a baby. There is no telling how much my body has actually changed until I get closer to that goal weight.

That isn’t to say that I don’t have a goal in mind. I definitely have a goal in mind. I want to lose somewhere between 60 and 80 pounds. I’d be happy in a size 10, even though that old goal weight put me in a size 6. I just don’t want to tether myself to a completely unrealistic goal and make myself miserable in the process.

I probably won’t update this goal much. Losing weight (properly) is a long and arduous task. I’ll post when I have something significant to report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home